Saturday, December 4, 2010

Cathance River Ecology Center

When I went to CREA with my class we learned about rocks and how they break into two pieces. We also learned about what's on the rocks and it is: mica and feldspar and I forgot the 3rd one. Anyway, our teachers name was Sara. She had a model of a big hole. I forgot the name of it but it had a long piece of wood that went up and a piece that went sideways and wires connected. Then we went to the real hole. It was full of water. Next we went to the river. We learned about how water gets deeper by a waterfall. It is how waterfalls go down and it moves the rocks in a different directions. Then we had lunch. After lunch we went to a different activity. It was about cool rocks. We went outside and put our five rocks in a container with holes in it. Then we shocked it until the sand was gone. Next we wet the rocks in a cup then we went inside and looked for five different rocks inside the cup. Then we went back to school.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Caleb,

    I really enjoyed reading this piece about your trip to the Cathance River Ecology Center!

    I can tell you had a fun time on this adventure. The story gave me some new information about rocks that I didn’t know before. Some suggestions would be to talk about the things you know about. Maybe you could not use the items that you forgot the names of. It would make you seem more informed!

    I really like the way you talked about how you shocked the sand until it was gone! Maybe you could describe how it felt to be in the model hole and in the real one. What was the same and what was different about them? If you can say in your story what you saw, smelt, heard, and possibly tasted on your adventure, that would really make me feel like I was in the story!

    Great job with this piece Caleb! I look forward to talking to you soon about this story!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete