Wednesday, April 6, 2011

WHERE I'M FROM

Where I’m From

I am from colorful Skittles and unicycles

From Nascar , Dunkin Donuts, and the Boot and Buckle

I am from the colorful girl who wears bright orange on dreary days

From birch trees in my backyard

and morning birds perching on their branches

I am from Christmas and opening stockings first

From long car rides with my parents

I am from Nicole and Phil

And Cloutier

I am from northern shining lakes

From cuddling with my mommy and daddy and watching movies

I am from “I love you” and “Tell the truth”

From Mid coast and Maine

From chicken mistake that tasted good,

and the homemade pizza we make in the kitchen

I am from my cork board where all my pictures and horse ribbons

hang from the wall

1 comment:

  1. I think writing poetry is extremely hard, and you did a great job with it. I love the adjectives that you used, such as colorful, dreary, and shining. Every picture that you created I could see clearly in my mind. But when you are on northern shining lake, what do you do there? Go fishing? Swimming? Talking more about your actions will make that scene even more clear.

    So I have been helping you with your writing, but now I think it’s time for you to help me. I wrote a poem using the same prompt that you did and I would be super happy if you would give me some advice on it. Like I said, writing poetry is hard, and you did such a wonderful job, so I know you will give me great advice.

    I am from softball glove and clarinet reeds,
    from the ipad and Harry Potter.

    I am from the green and white duplex with Nana right next door.

    I am from the apple tree,
    my nana’s exotic garden.

    I am from camping every year on my birthday,
    and being a perfectionist,
    from Kerry and Jim and James and Nicole.

    I am from the late night smelting trips,
    and playing fetch with my dog on sunny days.

    From “Be nice to your sister” and “Don’t touch the Nanner”

    I’m from a long line of Maine residents,
    scrambled eggs
    and Nana’s freshly baked chocolate chip cookies.

    I am from the technology age,
    where all my picture are downloaded on the computer
    for me to have forever.

    ReplyDelete