Wednesday, April 6, 2011

WHERE I'M FROM

Where I’m From

I am from expensive iPhones and NCAA Basketballs,

from cookie dough Gelato’s and hot sauce and Dick’s

I am from the big brown three-level house,

from the sly fox and round stumps,

and the gooey frog pond

I am from travel and fun, kindness, and sports

I am from Anna and Pat and Jill

I am from running races and shooting hoops

From “never smoke”, and “don’t be a bad sport”

I’m from Mid Coast, and crispy meatloaf, and crunchy chicken nuggets

From the wooden shelf in my room filled with basketball trophies and school pictures

1 comment:

  1. Hi Caleb,
    I'm really happy that you are exploring the wonders of poetry. The details of your life made me feel like I know you even better! I liked the detail of the cookie dough gelato. It was a very personal touch. One question I have is when you say in line two "Dick's" is that a name or the store? Overall great job Caleb and keep up the great work! I decided that I'd write you a poem with the same format as "Where I'm From". Hopefully you will get to know me a little better.

    Where I'm From
    I am from the tennis racquets and Harry Potter Books
    From Acer Laptops and Sally Hansen nail polish
    I am from the big back yard and itty bitty road
    I am from the squirrels and rose bushes
    From the furry tail and bright red buds
    I am from candy cane cookies
    And sea blue eyes
    From Sandy
    And Dickie
    And Jane
    I am from the tides of Popham
    And the late summer nights
    From “eat your vegetables”
    And “Believe in yourself”
    I am from Parkview
    From onion rings and fresh pineapple
    I am from the bookcase of memories where the pictures lie

    ReplyDelete