Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Snowflakes

Snowflakes are formed by water vapor and dust particles in clouds. The temperature of the air is what helps form the snowflake. Their arms are like branches, if the air is warm the branches get thin, and if the air is cold the branches get wider. Each snowflake is never exactly like another, they are all different. Some snowflakes look like stars, but they are all six-sided. It can take hundreds of snow crystals to make one snowflake. The largest snowflake ever recorded was 15 inches. The larger the flakes are, the faster they fall. Large flakes form when the temperature is warmer, and when the temperature is very cold the flakes are small and dry.

Did you know that Rochester, New York gets almost 8 feet of snowfall each winter? And that in the mountains of Washington state 95 feet of snow fell in one winter!

1 comment:

  1. Wow Bella! This is a very good non-fiction piece! I can see that you spent a lot of time writing this. I always think doing the research for a paper is the hardest part. What do you think is the hardest part of writing non-fiction?
    I was amazed that you included so much detailed information about how snowflakes are made, that I almost imagined it was snowing outside! My favorite part of your paper is that you included two really interesting facts at the end. I like to do the same thing when I write non-fiction papers. I think it makes them more fun to read!
    I learned a lot about snowflakes from reading your paper. Did you have fun learning new facts to write about, too? You are getting to be a better and better writer! I can tell because you have improved so much!
    I can't wait to talk to you again,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete