Monday, January 10, 2011

Realistic Fiction and Character Development

One summer day, Frank Dudman and his dad were going somewhere. But Frank didn't exactly know where they were going. When they got there, Frank recognized the place. It was the Coastal Maine Humane Society. They were going to buy a dog! "You're really buying a dog?" Frank asked his father. As they were stepping inside, they noticed it was dark. They didn't see them , but there were giant lizards scurrying on the walls and ceilings. They could hear them. The dogs couldn't smell the lizards because they were sleeping. Suddenly a lizard on the wall stepped on the light switch and flicked it on. Franks' dad said "Finally, the lights are on." A lizard screeched and scurried away.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sam! I really like where you are going with your story.I can relate because I got all three of my dogs at the Humane Society. I know you're working on character development so my advice would be to maybe describe Frank a little more and tell how he felt about getting a dog? Had he had one before? What was his father's response to his question? So, they couldn't see the lizards because it was dark, but they could hear them, were they afraid? When the lights turned on, did they see the lizard scurry away? How did Frank react to it all? I like your idea, lizards mysteriously creeping around in the dark while the dogs are asleep as a little boy comes in to get a new pet. Very creative Sam! I can't wait to chat again on Skype, bye.
    -Meagan

    ReplyDelete