Monday, January 10, 2011

Realistic Fiction and Character Development

"This is my first day at school and I am really nervous." I thought to myself. I don't know why, but I was thinking that I might get in trouble. When I got on the bus I sat next to a boy. "What's your name?" I asked him. "Dom" he answered, "What's your?" "Jimmy" I said. I stared thinking about school and who my teacher might be. When the bus got to school Dom and I walked into the building together. We found our classroom and sat next to each other at our new desks. Then our teacher walked in , her name was Ms. Amy. She had white skin and red hair.She was wearing Uggs and a scarf. Ms. Amy told us that she had lots of fun games to play like Count to One Hundred and Addition. "Here's our schedule" Ms. Amy said, we had morning meeting first, then math and spelling. After that we had reading and then lunch and recess. In the afternoon we had writing workshop and our specials and then it was time to go home.

Once we knew the schedule it was time for morning meeting. Dom and I walked to the rug and sat down next to each other. At morning meeting I shared my hockey cards. I looked over at Ms. Amy and her face was getting red which was starting to match her hair! Ms. Amy said "I don't like hockey because of the fights." She had tried to play hockey when she was younger but she got a penalty and had to sit in the box for 2 minutes. That is why she did not like hockey. Ms. Amy was so annoyed with me that I had shared my hockey cards that she sent me to the teacher in the classroom next door. In a mean voice she said "GO!" Dom looked at me with a weird look on his face. As I walked to the other classroom I was thinking "I might get sent to the Principals office." I walked into the other classroom and sat at the back table.




1 comment:

  1. Hi Caleb,
    I am so impressed by you use of details. The way you described Ms. Amy is great. I could really picture what she looked like. You did an awesome job of showing how Jim and Dom felt. Some tips would be to talk more about how nervous Jim was on his first day. The way the story ended was a bit unexpected, so maybe you could explain how the rest of Jim's day went. Did he become friends Dom? Was he able to have a good day after all?
    Great job overall. It's so awesome to see how you are becoming such an amazing writer, beyond your years.
    Holly :)

    ReplyDelete